Monday, August 9, 2010

Random Updates

What a summer it's been! I have to say that it has completely flown by, and although I am looking forward to getting back into a routine with school and fall sports, I have had such a wonderful time hanging out with the boys at home. I'm really going to miss the freedom of going here and there and everywhere without time constraints, and I know going into the third grade is going to be a huge transition for Caiden. This is the year when end of grade testing begins, and I have heard that it's brutal.

Luckily, we still have about 2 more weeks before school is back in session, and we have some things coming up that I am really looking forward to. We have a beach trip planned, and my brother who lives in Thailand is on his way here to spend a few weeks with us. So excited!

In baby news...our little bundle of joy is a girl (YAY!) and is growing and developing right on target. Every time I go to the doctor and hear that little heartbeat it puts a huge smile on my face and I heave a huge sigh of relief. I am going Wednesday for another ultrasound, and hopefully I can get some pictures printed and posted on here.

On a slightly more depressing note, I went to see my hematologist this morning and found out that I am going to have to go through at least one round of steroids to (hopefully) keep my TTP under control. For those of you that don't know, back in 2005 I was diagnosed with an immune disorder called Thrombotic Thombocytopenic Purpura. Extremely long story short, TTP causes your body to attack itself and your platelets drop causing a whole bunch of issues. Luckily, it was caught in time back in 2005 and I made a full recovery. I have been one of the lucky ones in the fact that I have avoided any relapses. Pregnancy tends to be a trigger for the disease, and I have made it through one successful pregnancy and delivered a beautiful, happy and healthy little boy. This time, however, I guess the cards aren't really in my favor and my doctor thinks that I am at a higher risk for relapse. In an effort to keep my counts up, he put me on a round of high dose steroids. Hopefully this will raise my levels and keep me out of the woods of a relapse. In that, I am happy. However, I am completely upset that it's come down to having to do it. When I had my initial episode I was put on high dose steroids and the side effects were complete and utter hell. I gained so much weight (my family likes to joke that I looked like Gwyneth Paltrow in Shallow Hal) and I was so self conscious about it. They made my joints feel like they were those of a 100 year old woman, and the night sweats, insomnia, and hot flashes were almost unbearable. I am really hoping that only one round will do the trick and maybe I can avoid all the nasty side effects. If not, hopefully my family will be understanding enough to not tie me to a post outside until the meds wear off ;)

So...I know I have exhibited terrible blogging ettiquette by neglecting to post more often and for that I apologize! I hope all of my readers have enjoyed their summer as much as we have...back to the daily grind pretty soon. Ugh!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell Me What Ya Think!