Tuesday, January 26, 2010

I LOVE Tax Time!

I know, I know...I'm nuts. But I have good reason to be excited this year. Daniel and I purchased our first home in August of 2009. Unless you have been living under a rock, you know that this year there is a huge tax break for first time homebuyers. I am in the process of finishing our taxes up (I do them myself...I can't imagine PAYING someone to do something that I can do just as well myself), and this morning I danced and jumped around my kitchen (whacking my knee on the cabinet in the process) after seeing our refund. We are going to be able to pay off ALL our bills (except our car and mortgage, of course). AHHHH! I can't imagine anything better happening right now. Ok, winning the lottery would obviously be better, but you get the point.

My goal is to be completely debt free. It angers me every time I think about the money that I throw down the drain in interest to credit card companies. What kills me is that everyone TRIED to tell me not to get caught up using credit cards...of course, since I am such a hard head, I never listened. If I can pass advice on to my children (and anyone else out there who happens to read this)...DO NOT BUY A NEW CAR, AND DO NOT OVERSPEND USING CREDIT. Just take my word for it...or be a moron, like me, and do it anyway. I promise you'll pay in the long run.

I am putting myself on a mission, and a long term one at that. My mission is to not buy anything unless I can pay cash for it. Of course, I know things will come up that might set me back a bit, but after these bills are paid off, I am cutting up the cards and never looking back. I really wish I had the balls to call the credit card companies and tell them that they are the devil. :)

Now I know that some of you who read this are going to hate me for my luck, but don't think we got to this point without suffering a bit. Daniel lost his job back in May, and we went for quite a while on next to nothing since I don't work. The past few months have been hard too...we went from eating like kings and queens to eating ramen noodles several times a week. We also didn't get this way just because we are lucky...we've learned from our financial mistakes and tried not to repeat them. Luckily we bought our house at a good time and we are fortunate enough to able to take advantage of one of the few things our government hands to people who actually work for it.

Anyway, I just wanted to share with everyone our good fortune, and I hope tax time treats you well.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell Me What Ya Think!