Tuesday, December 22, 2009

My New Year's Resolution(s), and Why :)

This morning, I realized that Christmas has left me broke (as it does every year...) and beginning Jan 1st, I am going to really set my mind to saving my family money. What set me on this {MISSION} was the fact that I am in a panic as to how in the world I am going to pay my car payment this month. I called to see if they could possibly defer this month's payment and they told me that they "are not granting any deferments at this time". (Just a note, this REALLY ticked me off...I have never asked for a deferment, my payments are ALWAYS on time and I usually pay more than the regular monthly payment. My point is, I am a perfect customer, and they were unwilling to make an exception. How rude!) So, I pulled money from my savings to make the payment, and I noticed that my savings account is rapidly dwindling down to nothing. And to add fuel to this fire, Daniel called me to tell me that our health insurance is going to be $100 a week. We need insurance (obviously), so I told him just to do it, and I'll figure out later how in the world we'll pay for it. So anyway, here is my plan for becoming more frugal and (hopefully) decreasing the financial stress we have (and the weekly "oh lord, I have to pay bills" heart attack). 

First and foremost, I HAVE to cut my grocery bill. When I first started staying home with the boys, I did a great job of shopping only once every two weeks, and only buying the necessities. Over the past year, however, I have gotten back in the habit of going to Wal-Mart several times a week and buying on impulse. My goal is to keep our grocery bill under $100 per week. Right now, I would say we have doubled, if not tripled on some weeks, that amount. I am also going to take the advice of a very sweet lady at Wal-Mart and cut the hell out of coupons. I am also going to keep a price book so I know who has the cheapest prices, when to buy on sale, etc. 

Next on my list is to quit smoking. Daniel and I both smoke, which costs us about $70 a week. RIDICULOUS!! If Daniel and I quit smoking, we can almost pay for our health insurance, which would probably end up paying for our oxygen tanks down the road :) I have so many reasons to quit, and not any good ones not to. My only excuse is that I really do enjoy smoking, and I know it will be hard to quit. One reason that I (hope) will keep me on the right track is that my brother kicked his heroin habit cold turkey. If he managed that, I think I can manage quitting smoking. Hopefully Daniel and I will avoid a divorce...he's a total ass when he doesn't smoke. :) I know my smoking buddy (this means you, Manni!) is going to be lost without me, but I've got to do it!!

In February, Daniel and I are going to get a big chunk of money back on our taxes since we purchased our first home this year. We are going to pay off the majority of our credit card debt, which will be a big load off our shoulders. 

I am going to get Levi potty trained. (AHHH!!!) He seems to have a big interest in the potty, and I am going to take advantage of it. I already buy the cheapest diapers (Parent's Choice @ Wal-Mart which cost me about $6.97 a week), but every penny counts.

If I can get my husband to hang my clothesline (this has been a "I'll do it this weekend, honey" thing for about 2 years!), I am going to hopefully reduce my energy bill by hanging clothes to dry instead of using the dryer. 

Lastly, I am going to do my best to cut out all of the "extras". No more $1.50 drinks at the gas station, ordering pizza because I don't feel like cooking (ok...maybe occasionally I'll splurge), or buying random unneeded things at the store. 

If anyone has any suggestions, I would LOVE to hear them!! Wish me luck!

2 comments:

  1. You're sooo funny! Great idea-quit smokint to pay for your health insurance!! Now DO it! The clotheline thing could wait for spring-too cold to hang outside now...I used to do it-the clothes smell so good, but it's time consuming...the dryer is a valuable luxury as far as I'm concerned! Now, meal planning, grocery list planning and coupon clipping is a GREAT way to save money--it takes self-discipline, but it pays off. Good luck!! Happy New Year! Love ya

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rachael-

    Chance and I are currently taking a finacial course called "Financial Peace" by Dave Ramsey. It has helped us SO much with unneccesary spending. He has great tips to help you control your money and we have managed to keep our grocery bill to about $80/month over the last 12 weeks. Let me know if you want some more info, maybe we can chat about it.

    ReplyDelete

Tell Me What Ya Think!