Thursday, November 19, 2009

Bullies??

I am starting to worry about Caiden and what is going on at school. Since August, I have noticed a huge change in him. At home, he is a perfectly happy kid who is completely comfortable. He wears the craziest things, and could care less what he looks like.

As soon as we get in the car to head to school, however, his demeanor does a 180. He is suddenly nervous about going to school and is always concerned that he is going to get picked on. For example, today is pajama day at school. He was very excited about it and had his jammies on ready to go to school. When we got in the car, he started asking if I was sure  that today was pajama day (he asked me FOUR times). I assured him that it was. Then he started asking if everyone else was going to be wearing their jammies. I assured him that yes, they would. When we got to school, there were some kids walking in wearing pajamas, and some that weren't. He suddenly panicked and put his jacket on trying to cover his pajamas up. I told him that he didn't need to worry about what others thought about him, but I think it just went in one ear and out the other.

I can somewhat understand him being self conscious about about his clothes. Unfortunately, I was the same way almost all of my years in school. But it really is worse than just worrying about his clothes. One day, we were on the way to school and he was eating a pop tart. When it was time to go into school, he hadn't finished it so I told him to just take it in and finish it on his way into school. He said, "No, someone might pick on me." What?! Someone might pick on him for eating a pop tart!!??

I just don't understand what the heck is going on. I am really starting to worry that maybe someone is bullying him, and he just doesn't want to tell me. I have asked him before about this, and he always says that no one picks on him. He recently started riding the bus home in the afternoon, and he has made comments about a boy that sits behind him saying bad words, pushing people, and doing things he's not supposed to. I wonder if this has anything to do with how he has been acting. When I asked him yesterday if this boy was bullying him, he said no. I know that a lot of times kids don't want to admit that they are being picked on, so I don't really know what to do.

I just feel so sorry for my baby. There is no reason for anyone to pick on him...he wears decent clothes, plays sports year round, gets good grades, and has lots of friends. All the little girls adore him, and all his teachers have always bragged on him. I just hate to see him feel so self conscious and I wish I could figure out how to help him. I guess I am going to research it.

Hope everyone has a great (bully-free) day, and if you have any suggestions, please let me know.

1 comment:

  1. Rachael...I've been thinking about this all day...I don't have any idea what to do though. I told Taylor about it and told her that maybe she should tell him that he shouldn't worry about what people think...maybe it will be good coming from her. I don't know. I agree that there should be nobody picking on him. He's got to be the coolest little 2nd grader at that school! Oh...Taylor did say that the ONLY reason someone should pick on him is about his big head, but only SHE could pick on him about that!! I always tell her she CAN'T either, but it was funny. : ) I hope you can figure out something to do. I'll keep thinking about it. We don't want Caiden to be scared of being picked on...there's no reason to be. Just like there has never been a reason for beautiful YOU to feel that way.

    Love you...gotta go get Taylor...oh crap! I'm gonna be LATE!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Tell Me What Ya Think!