Friday, November 13, 2009

7 Quick Takes Friday!



7 Quick Takes Friday! I found this little thing (I think it is called a carnival in the blog world, but who the heck knows...I haven't figured all this crap out yet) on a blog that I love to read. I guess it's just a way to get out 7 random things floating around in my head. Hope you enjoy!

1. Levi doesn't have the flu...yippee! As far as I know, anyway. He started feeling much better yesterday afternoon when his fever broke, and he has been the same little monster as always. I am SO relieved...I spent the afternoon yesterday disinfecting EVERYTHING. Luckily, it just seems as though he had a little 24 hour bug. Whew!

2. I have a bunch of new blog ideas that hopefully I will get to next week. This week has been kind of weird, and the weather has made me feel like total crap. I am really excited about some of my posts...it's just a matter of getting them finished. I see how this blogging thing can become addictive! I have about 10 posts that I have started, but just haven't finished. Like I said, hopefully I will get some up next week!

3. I am ALMOST done with this semester! This time around has been pretty easy since I am only taking 2 classes and they are both humanities. I do have 2 big projects that I have totally procrastinated on, not to mention several papers that I have yet to start. Oh well, I work much better under pressure! This semester has flown by, and I am totally dreading some of the classes I take in the spring...notably Chemistry (blah!!). (Upcoming post: "Why I Want to Teach")

4. I have decided to have Thanksgiving here this year (ahhh...what am I thinking!?) No, I am pretty excited about it. Up until this year, Daniel and I have never had enough room to have everyone over for a big dinner. Since we got our new house (Upcoming Post: "There's No Place Like Home"), I think it will be a lot of fun to have it here. Plus, I have never cooked Thanksgiving dinner, and I am looking forward to getting some of momma's recipes and learning how to cook them. (Hopefully Nana T can help me out...or else everyone will be eating burnt turkey!)

5. Our hunting trip is coming up and I am stoked! Daniel is a member of a hunt club towards the coast, and I have never had the chance to go. Nana T. is going to watch Levi so we can spend a few days hunting. This will be the first time leaving Levi for more than a night and I am little nervous about it. I know he will be fine and have a great time, but I think I will suffer a major case of separation anxiety! Oh well, I think it will be a lot of fun. My brother Eric is going with us, and it will be nice to spend some time with him, too. We will be leaving Thanksgiving night after dinner, and we will be coming back on Sunday. (I think I am also going to suffer separation anxiety from the internet!)

6. I am planning Caiden's birthday party which we will have on December 6th (Oh my goodness, I can't believe my baby is going to be 8!!) The family went in on a batting cage that Eric found on craigslist for a really good price. It needs some cleaning up, but I think he is going to LOVE it. It will be a surprise...we told him his party is going to be at a batting cage, but he has no idea it will be at his OWN batting cage! Hopefully Daniel and Eric can get it put up without Caiden catching on.

7. I found a new recipe that I LOVE! I have always liked salmon, but I have never made it any way other than salmon patties. Anyway, I kind of "created" this recipe...if you like salmon, I think you'll really enjoy this one.

Ingredients:
Salmon fillet (I bought mine at WalMart in the seafood section and I just purchased a fresh piece of salmon)
McCormick Grill Mates seasoning (Salmon variety)
Honey
Butter
Rice (we use 1 cup for our family of 4)
2 1/4 cups water
Can of Veg-All, drained (I buy the WalMart brand of canned mixed veggies)

Salmon Fillet
Preheat over to 350 degrees.
Place your salmon fillet on a piece of foil and fold up the sides. Sprinkle seasoning over the salmon and rub it in.
Melt about 2 or 3 heaping tablespoons of butter.
Mix in some honey into the melted butter (I use a lot because I love honey).
Pour about half the melted honey and butter over the salmon.
Fold the foil to make a closed packet and place in oven.
After about 10 minutes, open packet (so the top of the fish is exposed) and place back in oven.
The salmon should be done in about 15-20 minutes, depending on the size of the fillet. It's done when it flakes easily with a fork.

Rice and Veggies
Place the rice, water, canned veggies, and remaining melted butter and honey into a saucepan.
Bring to a boil, stir, and turn the heat to low.
Cover and cook on low for about 12 minutes.
Remove cover and stir.

The rice and salmon go really well together and it's a quick and easy meal. So yummy too! I never really measure anything when I cook, so sorry if you are the type of person that likes specific measurements.


Well, I guess that's it for Quick Takes Friday! I hope you all have a wonderful weekend, and come back and see me next week for my new posts!

Head over to Conversion Diary for more 7 Quick Takes Friday!




4 comments:

  1. I enjoyed your quick takes - glad you joined in!

    4. I'm hosting Thanksgiving for the first time this year, too. The good news is that it's only my husband's parents who are coming, so only two extra people. The bad news is my mother-in-law fancies herself a gourmet chef, and I swear she doesn't even own a paper napkin. Not good.

    7. That recipe sounds great. I think I'll try it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for checking out my blog, and I hope you enjoy the recipe. It's one of my favorites! Good luck with Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad your little one doesn't have the flu. We were lucky enough to get both the H1N1 and Seasonal Shots today. I was thinking we were never gonna be able to get them.

    Good luck on your Thanksgiving dinner. I love Thanksgiving but I've never made a turkey. Maybe one day I'll have the guts to tackle a turkey.

    Hope all goes well on your trip. Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Thanksgiving Rachael...the turkey will be great!!!

    ReplyDelete

Tell Me What Ya Think!